Looks so impressive, like you worked all day, but it's really simple to make and has a wonderful presentation. Delicious too!
15 mins Cook Time
15 mins Yield: 12 servings
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 4-serving size instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon green food color
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained (add more if you like)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped with 3 tablespoons sugar or 8-ounce Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon pineapple or coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (walnuts, pecans or pistachio)
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, well-drained and chopped
reheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-by-17-inch cookie sheet with sides or 10-by-15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment or waxed paper.
In a food processor, spin sugar about 2 minutes until superfine. Sift half the sugar with the salt and cake flour. Set remaining sugar aside.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites, water, extract and cream of tartar on high for 2 minutes. Slowly sift in reserved sugar, beating continuously until medium peaks form. Sift some flour mixture and dust over foam, then gently fold in. Repeat until all flour mixture is incorporated. Carefully spread into prepared pan.
Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry. Cool 45 minutes to one hour in pan, cooling just enough so frosting doesn't melt but not until stone cold, or it may crack, while making filling/frosting.
To make the frosting, mix pudding, milk and food color. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Fold in pineapple, cream and flavoring.
Spread a layer of frosting over cooled cake. Start to roll (roll from long side if a thinner roll is desired), removing paper as you roll. Transfer to platter. Frost outside with remaining topping. Sprinkle with coconut, nuts and cherries. Refrigerate. Serve cold.
Your Ratings and Comments
Please sign in to rate or comment. Sign in with Facebook or use your Eggland's Best account.