Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Spooky, warm and delicious. With the seasonal smells and tastes of fall, this pumpkin bundt is sure to please.
15 mins Cook Time
1 hr Yield: 16 servings
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 3 large Eggland's Best eggs, beaten
- One 8-ounce carton lowfat vanilla yogurt, 1 cup
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, optional
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt, cloves, and nutmeg.
In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, canola oil, and vanilla and stir until well blended.
Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in the currants.
Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
Dust the top of the cake with confectioners sugar if desired.
Garnish with a mini pumpkin in the middle and serve with vanilla lowfat frozen yogurt if desired.
Your Ratings and Comments
Please sign in to rate or comment. Sign in with Facebook or use your Eggland's Best account.