Apple and Dried Cherry Crostata
This Crostata is extra special because it uses my mother’s delicious pie crust as the base.
Make This Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) butter cut into bite size pieces
- 8-12 Tablespoons ice water (place ice cubes in measuring cup and fill with water)
- 1 Eggland's Best egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup dried cherries (or raisins)
- 3 Tablespoons Crumb Topping
- 2 cups Old Fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup walnut halves or pieces
- 4 ounces (1stick) unsalted butter
Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the work bowl of your food processor fitted with dough or steel blade. Process to lighten the flour. Add butter and process until mixture is evenly blended and looks like large grain corn meal. Add ice water 2 tablespoons at a time and process until evenly blended. Add water until mixture comes together in a ball. Cut into 2 pieces. Place on parchment paper and flatten to a disk. Wrap well and chill at least ½ hour.
Roll to about 15-16" on a piece of parchment paper. Place apple filling in center and fold the pie crust into itself, making about a 1-2 inch rim around the filling. Place on baking sheet. Top Crostata with some of the crumb topping and brush with beaten egg for a golden brown Crostata.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Notes and Suggestions
Preparing the crust in your food processor will make life easier. Also, the recipe makes enough crumb topping to use on several pies, tarts, or batches of muffins. You can keep it in the freezer for a quick finishing touch on baked goods. It is also great when used as a topping for a sweet potato casserole.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Fat||32g (42.5% calories from fat)|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|