Cinnamon Twist Holiday Star Bread
Wow your guests with this cinnamon twist holiday star bread layered with sweet cinnamon and sugar swirls and topped with creamy sweet whipped frosting.
Make This Recipe
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup softened butter
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Eggland's Best eggs, large, beaten with 1/2 teaspoon water to make an egg wash
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
8 tablespoons cream cheese (room temp)
1/4 cup room temperature butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a mixer, combine yeast and warm water. Allow yeast to activate and become foamy for about 5 minutes. (I like to cover the bowl with a towel to trap the heat in).
- In another medium bowl, combine warm milk, softened butter, sugar, salt, egg and one cup of flour.
- Mix well and add to the yeast mixture. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour until a soft dough forms. Use dough hook to knead dough for 6-8 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Knead on counter if you are not using a stand mixer. Add dough to a large oiled bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel to trap in heat and prevent dough from drying out. Allow the dough to rise 1 hour.
- Mix together 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Beat one egg and add 1/2 teaspoon water to make an egg wash. Set aside. Dump dough on a lightly floured countertop. Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 4 even pieces.
- Form dough pieces into a round disc shape. Roll each piece into a 12" circle. (It doesn't have to be perfect!)
- Place first layer on a sheet of parchment paper. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle 1/3 of the cinnamon and sugar mixture onto the dough (usually about 3 tablespoons is perfect!) Repeat twice more, ending with final dough round on the top.
- Place a 2-1/2-in. round cutter or cup on top of the dough (this will be your center guide). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round cutter to edge of dough, we like to start with 4, then make 8 then 16 so they're all even. At this point we like to pick up the parchment sheet and move it onto a baking tray. You will now grab 2 sections of the dough at a time and turn them away from each other 2 times making 2 twists. Pinch the ends together to slightly form a point.
- Continue around the star until you have 8 twisted points. Brush dough parts of the star with remaining egg wash. Isn't it so pretty already? JUST WAIT!
- Cover star with a kitchen towel and allow to rise 35-45 minutes or until proofed and puffy. You can re-pinch the ends together if needed.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until golden!
- Allow to cool slightly, serve warm with creamy frosting dip. To make frosting, beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and powdered sugar and serve on warm star bread.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More