Indonesian Spiced Samosas with Cucumber Relish
This dish is tasty, easy, versatile, and unique while using common ingredients. Teenagers can make it too. Make it ahead for brunch, parties, or snacks, watching TV, lunch boxes, picnics, road, or plane trips. I am elderly and need good nutrition.
Make This Recipe
4 tablespoons oil, divided
1-pound fresh ground beef
2 teaspoon fresh grated gingerroot
1 tablespoon grated garlic cloves
1 tablespoon hot Madras curry powder or to taste
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon sambal oelek
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1 cup shredded carrots
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 Eggland’s Best eggs, large, beaten
5 Eggland’s Best eggs, large
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 spring roll wrappers (have extras in case they tear)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro for garnish
For the Relish, mix the following:
3 cups Persian cucumbers, cut small
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 small sweet red mini pepper, sliced
- In a heavy frying pan heat 2 tablespoon oil. Brown ground beef, crumbling it up. Stir in ginger, garlic, curry, coriander, sambal, turmeric for 2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except salt and Eggland’s Best eggs. Cook over low heat about 8 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer to bowl. Cool, then stir in 2 well beaten Eggland’s Best eggs.
- Meanwhile in an 11.5-inch pie pan beat 5 Eggland’s Best eggs with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and salt.
- Clean frying pan, spray with nonstick spray. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over high heat. Dip one spring roll wrapper in pie dish until well coated on both sides with egg mixture and place on griddle. Spoon 2 more tablespoon beaten Eggland’s Best eggs over spring roll wrapper, covering until edges.
- Spread 1/8th of filling along center of wrapper. Fold over all sides like an envelope and seal with some beaten egg. Carefully flip package and cook over medium heat approximately another 2 minutes so that Eggland’s Best eggs set and filling heats through.
- Move to plate, keep warm. Repeat process with remaining ingredients until finished. You will not need much oil subsequently.
- Plate on serving platter. Serve warm with cucumber relish. Garnish with chopped cilantro. This yields 2 samosas per person.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More