Light Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
This light and delicious cake is perfect for any time of the year!
Make This Recipe
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice, reserved from the can
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple slices, drained, juice reserved (or 6 or 7 fresh pineapple rings)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat the 1/2 cup of pineapple juice and stir in the brown sugar. Whisk well to combine. Reduce the heat to low, and reduce to a thickened, slightly syrup-like consistency. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Use the butter to grease the bottom of a 10-inch skillet or 9-inch round cake pan. Arrange the pineapple rings in a single layer on the bottom of the pan, over the butter.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Slowly combine with the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Carefully pour the pineapple syrup over the pineapple in the skillet or pan.
- Finally, pour the cake batter over the pineapples and syrup. Bake for 38 to 40 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake and check if it comes out clean.
- To serve, carefully invert the cake over your serving platter and serve warm with a side of fresh pitted cherries, or top with some toasted coconut.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||1 Slice|