This is a new take on a classic- shakshuka! This recipe replaces the traditional element of tomatoes with canned pumpkin, and adds in canned coconut milk for a smooth texture. This recipe is incredibly filling because of the EB eggs and canned chickpeas! A huge plus is it actually takes less time to make than traditional shakshuka, because you are using a pumpkin sauce!
Make This Recipe
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 cup butternut squash, cubed and cooked
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup canned pumpkin
13.5 oz canned full fat coconut milk
13.5 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup feta cheese
2 tbsp parsley
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add in diced onion, bell pepper, and butternut squash. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion and bell pepper are softened.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds before adding the lemon zest, smoked paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Stir in your canned pumpkin, canned coconut milk. Whisk or stir to combine until smooth. Once smooth add in canned chickpeas, and stir to combine. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Once the sauce is warm, make 5 little crevices in the sauce and crack the eggs into the skillet. Cover and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- After 5-7 minutes, remove the cover and garnish with feta cheese, parsley, and black pepper. Serve immediately with toast and avocado slices.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More