Shakshuka Bread Bowls
Shakshuka in itself is an impressive dish to make, but baked in a bread bowl? Another level. Everything is better with added carbs, and you’ll be obsessed with the way this recipe’s Eggland’s Best® eggs create a perfect yolk to homemade tomato sauce ratio. These eggs have six times more Vitamin D than ordinary eggs. Plus, once you rip off some of that bread bowl and dip it in the yolk/feta/tomato sauce combo, you'll never go back to bowls.
Make This Recipe
3 whole grain boules (bread bowls)
FOR THE HERBED FETA
4 oz. crumbled feta
2 tsp. freshly chopped mint leaves
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 c. chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 sliced white onion
3 cloves garlic minced
2 1/2 tbsp. harissa
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 (28-oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400º. Prep the bread bowls by cutting off the top round and removing the excess bread inside, leaving enough to support the bread bowl, set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the feta cheese, mint, parsley, vinegar, and, pepper.
- In a medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add in red peppers, onions, garlic, harissa, tomato paste, ground coriander, cumin and, salt. Sauté for 8 minutes then stir in tomatoes and bring to a bubbling simmer. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Scoop equal amounts of tomato sauce into each bread bowl.
- Make a little well into the tomato sauce and crack one egg into each bread bowl. Place on a sheet tray and bake in the oven for 20 min until egg is set, adjust cooking time for a firmer or runnier yolk.
- Remove from oven, spoon feta cheese mixture onto each bread bowl, and garnish with fresh pepper.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More