Sweet Fig Jam, Bacon and Toasted Walnut Skillet Bread
Sweet fig jam, salty bacon and toasted walnuts on a cheesy bread crust...this appetizer is loved by all ages, and, since our family is multigenerational, it is the perfect appetizer! Having grown up on an egg farm, I am very particular about the eggs I choose for my family. I make most of our meals from scratch, and I love knowing that Eggland’s Best USDA Certified Organic eggs are the best eggs money can buy. They add another level of nutrition to the many meals I serve my family.
Make This Recipe
2 bacon strips
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons fig jam
1/2 cup milk
2 Eggland's Best eggs, large
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- While oven is warming, cook bacon on a microwave-safe plate for 3 minutes in a microwave oven. Cool slightly and crumble, set aside.
- When oven reaches 350° F, place nuts in an oven-proof 10-inch skillet. Place in the middle of the oven and stir after 5 minutes. Then continue to toast/bake 5 minutes longer. They should be fragrant and nicely browned. Remove nuts from skillet and set aside.
- Place the empty skillet back in the oven and turn the heat to 450° F.
- Meanwhile, place all the bread crust ingredients in the blender and blend just until combined. Stop at intervals to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Return to the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove the bread crust from the skillet and place on a cutting board.
- Spread the fig jam within 1/2 inch of the edge. Top with crumbled bacon and toasted walnuts. Cut into 12 wedges and serve immediately.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More