Breakfast Scotch Egg
Make This Recipe
3 tbsps shredded pepper jack cheese
3 tbsps seasoned bread crumbs
3⁄4 cup shredded frozen hash browns
5 Eggland's Best large eggs
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 piece green onion
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and carefully lower in the egg. Turn heat to lowest setting and simmer the egg, covered, for 6.5 minutes. Remove to an ice bath to cool rapidly
- In a mixing bowl, combine the hashbrowns, breadcrumbs, egg yolk, green onion, shredded cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine everything evenly then set aside.
- Carefully peel the soft boiled egg then dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
- Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap large enough to wrap around the egg and put the hash brown mixture onto the sheet.
- Pat the hash brown coating with your hands or a spatula into a large circular shape about double the size of the egg.
- Place the egg carefully in the center of the hash browns and use the plastic wrap to help shape the mixture around the egg, gently squeezing the mixture to form the shape of the egg.
- Once gathered, twist the plastic wrap edges up to encapsulate the egg fully and tightly wrap up the egg into the desired shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 mins and up to several days.
- Heat a large dutch oven with oil till a fry thermometer registers 375F
- Beat the additional egg in a bowl and place panko in another bowl.
- Unwrap the egg and toss in the egg mixture to coat, then transfer to the panko and toss to cover entirely.
- Fry for 2 minutes at 375F till golden brown. Remove to a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Enjoy on your favorite salad!
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More