Coconut Lime Meringue Nests
Coconut Lime Meringue Nests are a fun and flavorful dessert to enjoy this Easter! The lime zest gives the meringue - made with Eggland’s Best 100% Liquid Egg Whites - a lively kick while the toasted coconut gives an extra crunch. Perfect to fill with your favorite Easter candies or to enjoy on their own!
Make This Recipe
2/3 cup Eggland's Best 100% Egg Whites
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Thoroughly clean and dry a large mixing bowl; any residue in the bowl may prevent the meringue from properly mixing.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Add Eggland's Best 100% Egg Whites to the mixing bowl and mix with a hand mixer on low to 30 seconds, or until egg whites become frothy.
- Add Cream of Tartar and white vinegar; mix for 5 minutes on medium speed until egg whites form soft peaks.
- In increments of 1/4 cup at a time, add sugar to egg whites, making sure each addition of sugar is thoroughly incorporated before adding more. Beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peak form and egg whites are glossy; this can take up to 15 minutes.
- Add lime zest to the meringue and mix for 15 seconds to incorporate.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and scoop a large heaping spoonful - or approximately 3 tablespoons worth - of meringue gently onto the parchment into a circle, using the back of the spoon to make a well for the nest; this should yield 9 - 10 nests.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over the nests, gently pressing coconut into the meringue along the top and sides.
- Bake for 50 minutes; turn off the oven and allow nests to sit an additional hour with the oven door closed before removing to cool at room temperatures.
- Fill nests with small Easter candies for a treat, or enjoy these nests on their own!
Recipe Notes: Keep nests in an airtight container for up to two days if making this recipe ahead of time. Try to find a large enough container in which you don't have to stack the nests on top of each other; if you need to stack nests, place a layer of parchment paper between nests.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More