Golden Springerle Heart Cookies
These golden shortbread-style cookies are embossed with pretty designs and are a sure way to anyone's heart.
Make This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, add the sugars and salt and mix until well blended.
- Add the egg and one egg yolk, then add vanilla and lemon extracts, mix until well blended.
- Stir in the flour. The dough should be stiff but pliable.
- Wrap the dough and chill it for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, set it out on a lightly floured board, and roll out the dough with a regular rolling pin to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using an embossed rolling pin, roll out a pattern into the dough.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart-shaped cookies. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the two egg yolks, water, and honey. With a pastry brush, paint a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie.
- Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes.
Recipe Notes: When using an embossed rolling pin, give it a light coating of peanut oil before using it to make sure that the dough doesn't stick between the nooks and crannies!
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More