This hummus bowl is topped with a spoonful of warm tomato and egg shakshuka and served with pita bread and pickled eggs for some tang.
Make This Recipe
- 2 cup garlic hummus
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- fresh parsley, for serving
- freshly baked pita, for serving
- Pickled eggs, for serving, recipe below
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspooon harissa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 Eggland’s Best eggs (large)
- 1 beet, peeled and roughly chopped into 1 to 2-inch sized pieces, cooked or use canned beets
- 1 cup beet juice
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 hard-boiled Eggland’s Best eggs, peeled
First, pickle the eggs. Peel the eggs and place in the bottom of a clean, glass jar (at least a quart-size).
In a medium saucepan, add the vinegar, beet juice, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
Pour the vinegar onion mixture over the eggs in the jar, covering them completely. Place some of the chopped canned beets in the jar too. Place the lid on the jar and wait two or more days before enjoying.
In a skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until soft.
Add the garlic, cumin, harissa, smoked paprika, a good pinch of salt, and a pinch of red chili flakes and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add in the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes. Stir in the sugar and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Make 4 wells in the tomato mixture and crack the eggs into the wells.
Baste the eggs with the hot tomato sauce or put a lid on the pan and let them cook until the whites are set.
Divide the hummus between bowls with a well in the center.
Top with eggs, shakshuka, fresh parsley, sliced pickled tomatoes and serve with fresh pita.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|