Shiitake Mushroom & Red Bell Pepper Frittata with Smoked Salmon
This is an easy, open-faced omelet, spiced with turmeric, which is activated by the heat and the little bit of oil, plus a sprinkle of black pepper, which combine to help you absorb the good, immunity-building anti-inflammatory compounds in turmeric. An easy, immunity-enhancing open-faced omelet for brunch or breakfast— great for snacks too.
Make This Recipe
6 Eggland’s Best eggs, large
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems minced fine, caps sliced 1/4” wide
6 ounces red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 tablespoons milk, preferably almond or oat milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Heat a 10-inch skillet with sloped sides over medium heat. Add olive oil; after 30 seconds, add mushroom caps and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 1 tablespoon of thyme, and salt and pepper. Stir in smoked salmon. Set aside.
- Add turmeric and black pepper to the skillet, stirring for a few seconds. Stop stirring, and pour egg mixture into skillet over vegetables; mix well.
- With a spatula, press vegetables down into an even layer under the egg mixture. Cook without stirring until eggs are set on bottom, about 5 minutes. (Center will be wet.) Transfer to broiler; broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source 2 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Cut into wedges.
- Drop on spoonfuls of yogurt and sprinkle the remaining one tablespoon thyme over frittata before serving.
Recipe Notes: Crimini mushrooms may replace the shiitake mushrooms but with less savoriness. 2 teaspoons dried thyme may replace the fresh thyme. Crush the dried herb for extra aroma. Lox that is not salty may replace the smoked salmon.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More