This classic French dish combines Eggland’s Best® egg yolks and egg whites with savory spinach, herbs, and grated Parmesan. While baking, the egg mixture puffs up to form a golden crust on the outside, sealing in light, airy goodness.
Make This Recipe
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons whole-wheat bread crumbs (lowest sodium available)
4 large Eggland’s Best® egg whites
2 large Eggland’s Best® egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 ounces baby spinach
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley, crumbled
2/3 cup fat-free milk, cold
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray four 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray. Lightly sprinkle the bread crumbs in each, spreading to coat the bottom and sides completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a small skillet with cooking spray. Cook the spinach and garlic over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted but still very green, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, flour, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg white mixture on high speed for 20 to 30 seconds, or until medium peaks form.
- Stir the spinach mixture into the milk mixture. Stir in the Parmesan and egg yolks until well combined. Gently fold in one-third of the egg white mixture at a time until well combined.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the soufflé mixture into each of the ramekins. Gently tap the ramekins on the counter 2 or 3 times to level the mixture. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350˚F. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the soufflés are puffy and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Tip: Don’t get excited and open the oven early to peek! Doing this may cause the soufflés to fall.
Dietary Exchanges: ½ other carbohydrate, 2 lean meat
© Copyright 2020 American Heart Association, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. Healthy for Good™ is a registered trademark. Unauthorized use prohibited.
National Supporter of:
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||4 servings; 1 soufflé per serving|