Taste of the Chesapeake Smoked Bloody Mary Deviled Salad stuffed in a Bacon Wrapped Green Tomato
My Smoked Bloody Mary Egg Salad has been a family favorite for the past few years. We often get requests to make it for friends and family get togethers. It incorporates many local Maryland favorites, such as fresh blue crab from the Chesapeake along with both local crab seasoning and Bloody Mary mix. Our household loves the fresh taste of Eggland's Best eggs. They stay fresh longer and have more nutritional value. I love creating, cooking and baking with Eggland's Best.
Make This Recipe
1 pound jumbo lump crab
4 large green tomatoes
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Bloody Mary mix
1 tablespoon horseradish
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning
8 slices of bacon
4 to 5 cornichons, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
Cedar Wood Chips for smoker (any flavor chip can be used)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Prepare your smoker (a grill could also be used). Place cedar chips in a large bowl of water and allow to soak for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- In a large pot, boil the Eggland’s Best eggs. While the Eggland’s Best eggs are boiling, cook the bacon in a medium sized fry pan until just beginning to crisp, but still pliable. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Core the tomatoes and scoop out the inside. Pat dry. Place the tomatoes on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before handling.
- While the tomatoes are cooling, drain Eggland’s Best eggs and place in an ice bath for 5 to 10 minutes. Once cooled, peel and place on a grill safe pan. Place Eggland’s Best eggs in the smoker for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove, chop and place in a bowl.
- To assemble, take 2 pieces of bacon and wrap around each tomato, securing with a toothpick. Toothpick can be removed once tomato is stuffed.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Bloody Mary mix, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire, celery seed, black pepper and seafood seasoning.
- Fold in the chopped Eggland’s Best eggs and crab meat, mixing gently. Scoop a generous portion of egg salad into each tomato.
- Garnish with cornichons and celery leaves.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More