Charlotte Cake topped with Italian Meringue
The perfect sponge cake filled with fresh fruits and topped with a delicious and fluffy Italian Meringue.
Make This Recipe
For the Cake:
2 sticks unsalted butter
4 Eggland's Best eggs, large
1 tbsp almond extract
3 cups self-rising flour spooned and leveled
1 cup coconut milk
Fresh Fruits for filling and topping
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Eggland's Best 100% Egg Whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 6 x 3 pan using non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer beat butter, almond extract and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. For about 5 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time. Beating batter just to combine. Do not over-mix.
- At a low speed, add flour alternating with coconut milk.
- Pour batter into the mold.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes. Baking time will depend on the type of mold that you use.
Check the cake with a toothpick/skewer by inserting it in the middle. If it comes out clean with no crumbs on it, the cake is ready to be removed from the oven.
Remove it to a cooling rack and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Then invert it onto a cooling rack and allow it to completely cool before using.
- Divide your cake into two equal layers, fill with fruits and meringue. This step is optional but recommended.
For the Meringue:
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Heat over high heat. Stir constantly.
- Cook until sugar syrup registers 240°F on an instant-read or candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, add Eggland's Best 100% Egg Whites inside the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Set mixer to medium speed and mix until soft peaks form. About 2 minutes.
- With the mixer running, carefully and slowly drizzle in hot sugar syrup. Increase speed to high and whip until desired stiffness is achieved.
- Beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. The more time you beat the meringue, the more consistency it will have. Cover your cake as desire.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More