Coconut Cream Pie (Almost Sugar-Free)
Slice up some summertime deliciousness with this scrumptious and super simple sugar-free coconut cream pie! Cool, creamy, and full of flavor, it'll be sure to make your taste buds smile.
Make This Recipe
7 ounces graham crackers (you can use gluten-free or also vanilla wafers)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons monk fruit sugar
1/2 stick butter (1 stick)
2 cups full fat coconut milk from a can
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup monk fruit sugar
pinch of salt
5 egg yolks from Eggland's Best large eggs
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or cream only from can of coconut cream
4 tablespoons monk fruit sugar
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a food processor pulse the graham crackers, coconut flakes, sugar, and butter until it forms into a fine crumb. Using your hands, press down and on the sides of a 9x9-inch glass or ceramic pie dish so it is even all around. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire cooling rack while you make the filling.
- In a medium saucepan, turn the heat to medium heat. Whisk together the coconut milk, coconut flakes, sugar and salt on a simmer, and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolk and cornstarch until completely combined. Gradually add the heated milk mixture slowly, 1 cup at a time and whisk together until it is completely combined. Transfer back to the saucepan and heat on medium heat. Whisk until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in the butter, vanilla, and coconut. Mix until combined. Pour the filling into the pie crust. Add a piece of plastic wrap on top so it touches the pie filling and place in the refrigerator for 3 hours to harden.
- Meanwhile, make the whipped topping by adding the heavy cream, sugar, and coconut extract to an electric mixer. Whisk on high (or use a hand mixer in a large bowl) for 2 minutes until it forms a soft peak and turns into whipped cream. Spread the whipped topping over the coconut cream pie and sprinkle the top with coconut flakes. Serve chilled.
This recipe is gluten-free, almost sugar free with only 8 grams per serving, and can be made dairy-free. You can make a coconut whipped topping for a full dairy-free version. The filling is healthier with "good for you" healthy fats from coconut milk. Get a few cans of coconut cream, chill it, then flip it upside-down to open. Drain the water and use the cream in it in place of heavy whipping cream.
Make sure to use can coconut milk and not box. Shake it first to get the liquid and thick cream to mix. Do not use coconut water which is different.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||1 slice|