Hot Cocoa Peppermint Bread Pudding with Peppermint Cream Sauce
This recipe for Hot Cocoa Peppermint Bread Pudding with Peppermint Cream Sauce is the perfect dish to serve for breakfast during the holidays. The sweet aroma of peppermint, hot cocoa mix and brown sugar makes your home smell just like a fresh cup of hot cocoa, and a drizzle of peppermint cream sauce on top takes this comfort food to a whole new level.
Make This Recipe
For Hot Cocoa Peppermint Bread Pudding:
1 loaf Italian bread, cubed
8 Eggland's Best eggs, large
1 cup milk
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
2 packets hot cocoa mix
1 tsp peppermint extract
For Crumble Topping:
1 stick cold salted butter cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4-5 crushed peppermint candies
For Peppermint Cream Sauce:
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
5 Tbs salted butter - cubed
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Cube loaf bread into small pieces and toast in over at 300°F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and pour bread cubes in a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, Greek yogurt, hot cocoa packets and peppermint extract. Pour egg mixture over the bread. Cover dish and set in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- See note.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then add topping (below) and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Serve with peppermint cream sauce and garnish with crushed peppermint and miniature marshmallows.
For peppermint cream sauce:
- Add 1/2 cup water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk sugar into boiling water and bring it to a rapid boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Allow to boil for 6-8 minutes, or until sugar and water begin to turn an amber-brown color. Gently add in cubed butter, being very careful not to splash the mixture onto your hands. Whisk vigorously as the mixture will begin to bubble quickly.
- Slowly add in the heavy whipping cream and whisk until foaming mostly subsides. Add in peppermint extract and bring mixture back up to a boil until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Recipe Notes: For best results, allow to set overnight or for at least 4 hours before baking.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More