A traditional Greek entrée, spanakopita is a delicious, savory pie filled with spinach and onions mixed with feta cheese and Eggland’s Best® eggs. The filling is enveloped between layers of light, flaky phyllo dough.
Make This Recipe
1 teaspoon canola or corn oil and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil, divided use
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
2 pounds fresh baby spinach or 3 10-ounce packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
¼ cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese
2 tablespoons fresh dillweed, or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
5 9 x 14-inch sheets frozen phyllo, thawed in the refrigerator
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 3 minutes, or until almost soft, stirring frequently. Cook the garlic for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low. Cook half the spinach for 1 minute, tossing with tongs. Cook the remaining spinach until all the spinach is wilted, tossing constantly. Remove from the heat. Drain well in a colander, using the back of a fork to press out any excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, eggs, feta, dillweed, and pepper. Stir in the spinach until well combined. Transfer the spinach mixture to the baking dish.
- Place the 5 sheets of phyllo dough on a cutting board. Working quickly, use a sharp knife to cut the sheets in half. Keep the unused phyllo covered with a damp cloth or damp paper towels to prevent drying. Place 1 sheet over the spinach mixture. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Layer with a second sheet. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Repeat with the remaining sheets and oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 375˚F. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the top is golden and crisp. Serve warm.
Cook’s Tip: For quicker assembly, cook the spinach a day ahead. Refrigerate it, covered, until you need it.
Dietary Exchanges: ½ starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
© Copyright 2020 American Heart Association, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. Healthy for Good™ is a registered trademark. Unauthorized use prohibited.
National Supporter of:
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||4 servings; 1 1/2 cups per serving|