Deliciously Dairy-Free Carrot Cake
This is a decadent three layer carrot cake with all the flavor without the dairy! Three layers of fluffy soft carrot cake smothered in dairy free cream cheese frosting and topped with thyme bunny ears perfect for your Easter celebration!
Make This Recipe
For the Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 Eggland’s Best eggs, large, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup lactose-free milk or plant-based milk substitute
1 T white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of finely grated carrot (best done with a food processor)
1 - 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup flaked coconut
For the frosting:
1.5 8 oz containers of non-dairy cream cheese-room temperature
1 stick salted butter, room temperature
4-6 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray the inside of three 9 inch cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, lightly whisk together “milk” and vinegar.
- In a stand mixer, combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and milk drink mixture until well combined and oil is fully incorporated. Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in grated carrots, crushed pineapple, and shredded coconut into the batter.
- One cup at a time, evenly distribute the batter in the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake all three cakes on the same oven shelf for 30-35 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if the cakes are baked through.
- Let cakes rest for 10 minutes and then remove from cake pans, slowly peel the parchment paper from the bottom of each cake and place them on a cooling to cook until room temperature. While cakes cool, make the frosting.
- In a medium glass bowl, use a hand mixer to whip butter until fluffy and smooth. Whip together the cream cheese and butter until fully combined.
- 1-2 cups at a time, add in sifted powdered sugar until you achieve desired sweetness. (we used between 4-5 cups). If the frosting isn’t as stiff or thick as you’d like, you can add more powdered sugar and/or chill frosting in the fridge for an hour.
- Stack your cake, frosting in between each layer, and then frost the outside of the cake.
- Chill for 30 minutes to an hour up to 24 hours. The cake is best served chilled.
To make the bunny eat topper, use floral wire to make one ear shape at a time, twist at the bottom, and leave some length to insert into the cake. Using short pieces of wire to attach thyme sprigs to the wireframe.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More