Grilled Eggplant And Zucchini Sabich Pita
When you’re sick of reheating the same leftovers for the third day in a row, turn to this veggie pita recipe for a healthy and flavorful lunch (or dinner) option. With grilled eggplant, zucchini, a homemade chopped salad, and a spicy yogurt sauce for a little kick, the pitas have an additional finishing touch of an Eggland's Best® Hard-Cooked Peeled Egg. We're always on board for a hard-boiled egg (hello protein) and these actually have six times more Vitamin D than your ordinary egg.
Make This Recipe
4 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, sliced vertically into 4 wedges each
4 whole-grain pitas
1/2 c. hummus
FOR THE GRILLED EGGPLANT AND ZUCCHINI
1 large eggplant sliced into 1/2 in. slices
2 yellow zucchini sliced diagonally into 1/2 in. slices
2 tbsp. salt
Extra-virgin olive oil, for grilling
FOR THE SPICY YOGURT SAUCE
8 oz. Greek yogurt (plain)
1/2 finely chopped hot chili
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
2 small cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp. harissa
1 1/2 tbsp. tahini
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
FOR THE CHOPPED SALAD
1 pt. chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
Persian cucumbers chopped (small dice)
2 Persian cucumbers chopped
3 tbsp. chopped parsley
Juice of half lemon
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl dissolve 2 tbs of salt into 1 cup of warm water. Once dissolved add in 6 more cups of water. Place the eggplant and zucchini into the bowl. And weigh it down using an upside-down plate and a heavy object (can of tomatoes etc). Let sit for 30 min while you prepare the spicy yogurt sauce and chopped salad.
- In a small to medium bowl whisk together spicy yogurt sauce and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix the tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Once the eggplant and zucchini are ready, drain and towel dry the pieces while you heat up the grill pan. Place eggplant and zucchini on a sheet tray, brush with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. When the grill pan is ready, cook veggies, about 5 min a side. They will be browned and tender with grill marks. Lightly heat the pitas on the grill pan for 1 minute, cover them with a towel to keep them soft while preparing the sabich.
- Assemble the pitas: the sabich pitas can be open faced or ingredients can be tucked into the pita pocket. Layer the ingredients starting with the hummus, grilled veggies, and then eggs, chopped salad, and top with the spicy yogurt sauce.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More