Hungarian Chicken and Dumplings
This is my version of my husband’s Hungarian grandmother’s recipe. The chili pepper was not in his grandma's original recipe though and was actually added by accident when I had thought I had grabbed the paprika. However, we found that it made a good dish even better! It's our family’s BEST favorite main dish recipe! Eggland’s Best eggs are my family’s favorite because we think they taste the best and I prefer them because they have more nutrition and vitamins than other eggs!
Make This Recipe
Chicken and Sauce:
1 large onion, chopped
¼ cup butter, cubed
4 to 5 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces
2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon ground dried chili pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 ½ cups hot water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3 Eggland’s Best eggs, large, beaten
1 ½ teaspoons table salt
3 teaspoons sour cream
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
Chicken and Sauce:
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Sprinkle chicken with paprika and ground chili pepper, salt and pepper; place in an ungreased roasting pan. Spoon onion mixture over chicken and add hot water.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Whisk in pan juices with onion. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Serve over chicken and cooked dumplings.
- Mix all of the dumpling ingredients together and beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed. You can also use a stand mixer and use the dough hook to make the dough too.
- Dip teaspoonfuls of the sticky dough into boiling salted water and they will float off the spoon. Cook about 10 minutes; drain well.
Recipe Tip: I like to mix the dumplings with the sour cream sauce and arrange the chicken on top—or take it off the bone. Then I lightly sprinkle the whole dish with paprika and just a pinch of ground chili pepper to add a bit more flavor and coloring.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More