Meringue Kissed Lemon Pudding Pie with Wild Berry Jam
Eggland's Best is the only egg good enough for my family recipes because EB eggs not only offer the best taste and nutrition, but also are consistently perfect from one package to the next. I trust that every time I use EB eggs my recipes will be deliciously high in vitamins and omega 3. I feel so good about feeding my family such quality eggs. I know this pie is truly the Best Family Recipe because whatever the occasion it is the most requested dessert. It even beats out a birthday cake!!
Make This Recipe
2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk, divided
¼ cup cornstarch
3 Eggland’s Best eggs, large, separated
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 cup 5% fat Greek yogurt
2 cups wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
½ cup Huckleberry preserves (you may substitute elderberry or blueberry)
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
3 egg whites (from separated EB eggs above), room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350° F. Mix cookie crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened. Press the mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- For the filling: In a heat-proof bowl or large measure with a spout, whisk ½ cup milk with cornstarch until blended. Add egg yolks, blend well and set aside. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk the remaining ½ cup of milk with the lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest until the sugar dissolves and the mixture just comes to a simmer. Slowly whisk the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken and bubble. Let cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time, until melted and incorporated. Whisk in yogurt until pudding is smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the filling to prevent it from forming a crust. Chill for 2 hours.
- Make the jam topping. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine wild blueberries and preserves, stirring, until preserves are melted, blueberries release their juice and the mixture begins to bubble. Stir in cornstarch slurry to thicken the mixture. Let mixture bubble 1 more minute or until fully thickened.
- Cover and chill jam before spreading evenly over top of pie.
- Make meringue stars. Heat oven to 350° F. Place oven rack in lower third of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with whip attachment combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until foamy. Slowly add sugar and once incorporated add lemon juice. Increase mixer speed to high and whip until meringue is very stiff and glossy. Spoon meringue into a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 1-inch diameter kisses onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and dry.
- Garnish pie with meringue kisses just before serving.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More