Pumpkin Mummy Hand Pies
Cute and spooky hand pies, with a perfectly spiced pumpkin filling decorated to look like a Mummy with candy eyes. Perfect for Halloween!
Make This Recipe
4 store bought roll out pie crusts or 2 of your favorite double pie crust recipes
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 granulated sugar
2 TB pure maple syrup
2 Eggland's Best Large eggs
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tsp cornstarch
Egg wash, 2 Eggland's Best eggs beaten with 2 TB of water
2 TB chocolate chips, melted
Candy eye balls
Make the Filling
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, maple syrup and eggs.
- Once combined whisk in pumpkin pie spice, heavy cream, cornstarch and salt.
- Pour into a 9” pie pan, place the pie pan into a slightly larger pan and fill 1/2 way up with boiling water as a water bath.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until edges are set and center is slightly jiggly.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
To assemble the pies
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Roll out a pie crust to approximately 1/8” thick. Using a round 4” cookie cutter cut 12 circles, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Repeat with 2 additional crusts. You should have 36 circles to make 18 pies.
- Roll out one crust and cut into 1/2” strips approximately 5” long, re-rolling scraps to make mummy faces.
- Brush egg wash around the edges of 18 crust circles and top with 2 TB pumpkin filling. Top with an additional crust circle pressing lightly around the edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining crust circles.
- Brush each hand pie generously with egg wash and add crust strips to make mummy faces. Brush each finished hand pie with additional egg wash.
- Place hand pies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a deep golden brown, let cool.
- To add candy eyeballs brush each eyeball with melted chocolate and “glue” on hand pies
Pies can be prepared and frozen unbaked. When ready to bake, egg wash and bake at 400 F for 25-30 minutes
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||1 pie|