Rainbow Yule Log Cake
A traditional Christmas dessert with a playful twist- perfect for a festive holiday party!
Make This Recipe
6 Eggland's Best eggs, large, separated
6 tbsp milk, room temperature
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pink, yellow, purple, green, and blue food coloring
4-6 cups Cream Cheese Frosting
meringues for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a 9X13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs into two mixing bowls. Whisk the milk, oil, and vanilla into the bowl of egg yolks. Then sift in the flour and baking powder. Whisk until combined and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy, then slowly begin adding in the sugar while continuing to whisk on high speed. Beat until stiff peaks have formed. Gently fold the meringue into the egg yolk mixture, about 1 cup at a time. Be careful not to deflate the meringue while mixing.
- Once barely combined, separate the batter into 5 bowls and add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl to create the different colors. Mix until the color is well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter from each bowl onto the baking pan, alternating between the colors. With a toothpick, swirl the colors together to create a marbled effect. Place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked, flip onto a floured surface, remove the parchment, and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Trim the edges of the cake if needed. Spread a layer of cream cheese frosting evenly onto the cake.
- Carefully roll up the cake lengthways, and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Place the tube into the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Separate the remaining cream cheese frosting between 6 bowls, and add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl- creating the different colors. Mix until the color is well incorporated, then transfer each color to a separate piping bag. Alternating between the colors, pipe blobs of buttercream onto the cake until it is completely covered.
- Using an offset spatula, smooth the buttercream lengthwise to blend the colors slightly.
- Decorate with gumballs to look like Holly berries, and add the meringue mushrooms if desired
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More