Red Velvet Cake
No one can really decide which flavor red velvet cake is, except that it should be moist and spongy, tangy with a hint of cocoa, and of course deep red in color. This recipe ticks all the boxes and delivers buttery soft layers, which pairs deliciously with cream cheese frosting.
Make This Recipe
3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
3 cups (600 g) white, granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
3 Eggland's Best Eggs, room temperature
2 Eggland's Best Eggs, egg whites only, room temperature OR 1/3 cup Eggland's Best 100% Egg Whites
1 ½ cups (360 ml) buttermilk, room temperature
3 tablespoons sour cream, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla paste (or pure vanilla extract)
1 tablespoon super red gel coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Grease, flour, and line four, 6-inch (15 cm) round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in the bowl of your stand mixer. Set the mixer to the lowest speed and using the paddle attachment, blend until well combined.
- With the mixer still running on low, slowly add the softened butter to the bowl. Mix until fine crumbs have formed, and no large clumps of butter remain.
- Place the remaining ingredients together into a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- With the mixer on low, pour the egg mixture into the bowl of your stand mixer in a slow and steady stream. Mix until just barely incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat until creamy- no longer than 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the cake has pulled away from the edges slightly. Allow cakes to cool in their pans for approx. 15 minutes before inverting onto wire racks or the countertop. Cool layers completely before filling and decorating.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More