Sausage-Herb Stuffing with Butternut Squash and Cranberries
This hearty and filling stuffing can be prepared completely the night before cooking!
Make This Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds rustic French bread (sliced or unsliced), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch diced butternut squash
- 1 cup sliced shallots (about 4 large)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 large cloves)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs (large)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
On a large, rimmed baking sheet, bake the bread for about 15 minutes- or just until it is toasted and slightly golden. Let cool, then transfer to a large bowl.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
Add the sausage to the skillet, using a spatula to break up the sausage into crumbles as it cooks.Cook until no longer pink.
Scrape the sausage and drippings into the bowl with the bread.
In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Add the mushrooms, butternut squash, shallots, celery and salt. Stir often while cooking- until the vegetables are softened (about 10 minutes).
Stir in the garlic, sage, rosemary and red pepper; cook, stirring for about 1 more minute.
Add the wine and continue to simmer until the vegetables have absorbed most of the wine.
Scrape the vegetables and all of the juices into the bowl with the bread and the sausage.
Sprinkle in the dried cranberries.
In medium bowl, whisk together 2 1/2 cups of the chicken broth, eggs, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper.
Pour it into the bowl with the stuffing ingredients and sprinkle parsley on top.
Use clean hands to toss the stuffing with the liquid. You want the bread to soak up as much as possible.
Scrape the stuffing and any juices into the prepared pan and create an even layer.
Drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth on top and cover the pan with foil.
Refrigerate for at least one hour.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F.
Let the stuffing sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the bread pieces are looking golden and crisp on top.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|