Tasty Veggie and Egg Tart
Heading to summer BBQ? Why not pre-make a delicious dish for the buffet? A slice of delectably good veggie and egg tart goes with anything. Boasting tons of vegetables and loads of flavor, it’s plain to see why this is a firm family favorite. This dish is delicious and nutritious too. Using EB eggs in place of ordinary eggs will add nutritional benefits such as more than double the omega-3 fatty acids. Not only does this seasonal dish work well for vegetarians, it’s certain to be a huge hit with the rest of the gang too. Take your time with this recipe and follow the directions exactly!
Make This Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Eggland’s Best large eggs
- 1 large tomato
- ⅔ cup shallot onions
- ⅜ cup eggplant
- ⅜ cup zucchini
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup feta
To make the pastry…
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Use a food processor to make the pastry base. Put the flour, sugar, and salt into the processor and pulse for a couple of minutes. Add the butter and continue to pulse.
- When the pastry mixture is coarse, add around 2-3 tablespoons of water to it. Pulse for a further two minutes and then get the mixture out of the processor.
- Roll into a ball and then flatten. Cover in plastic film and put in the refrigerator. Leave for an hour (longer, if possible!).
- When the mixture has chilled, get it out and roll it into a circle shape the size of your pie dish. Press the pastry mixture into the bottom of the pie dish and up the sides. Put the dish into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Next, bring the pie dish out of the freezer. Use some parchment paper to line the pastry and put some pie weights on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Take the pie dish out of the oven. Get rid of the paper and weights. Return to the oven for an extra 20 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
To make the tart filling…
- Next, turn the oven up to 450ºF.
- Peel and chop the shallot onions. Slice the tomato, eggplant, and zucchini.
- Place the chopped onions, eggplant, and zucchini into a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and place the tray into the oven for 20 minutes. Get the tray out and set it aside.
- Break the EB eggs into a bowl. Add the heavy cream and whisk for a couple of minutes.
- Line the pastry pie dish with the cooked onions, eggplant, and zucchini pieces. Pour the egg and cream mixture over the vegetables.
- Crumble the feta over the top of the mixture and add the sliced tomatoes to the top of the mixture.
- Put the dish back into the preheated oven for 60 minutes, checking it regularly. Cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing to serve.
Tip: Got some extra time? Make the pastry the night before you cook your tart. Doing so will break things up and make the whole thing easier. Simple.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More
|Serving Size||1 large slice|