Bunny Bottom Meringue Cookies
Pastel Meringue Cookies are a crisp airy dessert to enjoy this Easter! The bunny bottom adds a festive flair - made with Eggland’s Best 100% Liquid Egg Whites - love the extra crunch. Make before Easter Sunday and leave out for the bunny.
Make This Recipe
3/4 cup of Eggland’s Best 100% Egg Whites (room temperature)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup superfine granulated white sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
pastel pink gel food coloring
Chocolate Bunny Bottom Topper:
Bunny bottom candy mold
1/2 cup white chocolate morsels
1/2 cup pink candy melts
- Preheat the oven to 200° F.
- Pour the room temperature Eggland’s Best 100% Egg Whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- On medium speed (4) beat until the egg whites are foamy. Turn the mixer off, add the cream of tartar, and beat again on medium (4) until the whites have turned an opaque white color and start to hold soft peaks.
- Add the sugar a spoonful at a time with the mixer running at medium-high speed (6-8). Adding the sugar slowly a minute at a time is key. Continue to add the sugar very gradually, and once all of the sugar is added, add the pinch of salt. Beat the egg whites until they are very thick, glossy, and shiny white in color. When you stop the mixer, lift the whisk out of the whites, the whites should have a very stiff peak (stand up). This process will take about 10 minutes in a stand mixer. Patience is key!
- Add the vanilla extract, and mix it in briefly with a spatula. If you want to color the meringue, add a small amount of gel food coloring to the mixing bowl and fold it into the meringue mixture with a spatula, stirring very gently.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Then, scoop your meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a small star tip. Pipe kisses of meringues on the baking sheets, about 2 - 2 1/2 inches wide. You can pipe close together.
- Bake the cookies at 200° F for 75 minutes.
- After 75 minutes, turn the oven off, do not open the oven door, and allow the meringues to sit until completely cool, for about an additional 60-90 minutes. The meringues should be crisp at room temperature.
- Meringues can be stored in a cool, dry place in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Bunny Bottom Decorative Top:
- Melt the chocolate wafers in a microwave-safe glass bowl at 50% power for 60 seconds. Stir, and again for 25 seconds at 50% power. Repeat in 20-second increments until melted (should not be hot).
- Add the pink melted wafers into the bunny tail area of the mold and feet.
- Add the white melted chocolate into the remaining area of the mold.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Take out, pop the bunny bottoms out and place on top of cooled meringue cookies.
- Dust with sprinkles and edible glitter.
Remember to always use Eggland’s Best eggs in all of your recipes. Learn why it’s always the healthy choice.Learn More